[RC] re: Crick in the Neck - Mary Krauss

Hello Rae,

A few days before an endurance ride, to be followed by a three week car trip, I wound up hurting my neck in a fashion similar to yours. My husband had to put his arm behind my head when I wanted to get up in the morning. I couldn't get comfortable in any position. He is a doctor so can easily provide the right meds on the spot thank God. I used muscle relaxants the first day, half the dose the second day, then turned to Tylenol and the occasional glass of wine :-)

While going to the doctor is really important, sometimes I think they can kinda jump the gun and make you think all sorts of terrible things are happening simply because there is a far out possibility of that being the case. In my case, the injury caused bizarre symptoms for the next few days--blinding pain in my neck, then the other shoulder, then my lower back, then my diaphragm. My husband says one can develop a pain syndrome and that--in my words not his--you can accidentally activate the spine and wind up with all sorts of unrelated pain. The key is to quiet down the system.

I am SO glad I listened to him for once and took the meds. Usually I say, "I'll be fine" because I don't trust quick fixes and sometimes fall into thinking of even basic medicine in that light. Still glad I didn't let anyone touch my neck or back though.....

Hope you feel right as rain soon!

Mary K.
p.s. To make this post endurance-related I should mention that my neck pain was a delayed reaction to a horrendous spook at the end of a 20 mile, very relaxed trail ride. We were half a mile from the trailer, trotting loosely along a beautiful treed dirt road, when, BAM! out popped a killer bunny.... For some reason I thought only car accidents caused whiplash--never thought of a bunny as dangerous. Now I know the fuzzy little guys for the holy terrors they really are.....