Re: [RC] Bitting Issue - Diane Trefethen

With all this talk about which bit or head piece to use, we are losing sight of the real problem, ie, your horse needs more and better training. Many are horrified that anyone, especially someone in our sport, would put a tiedown on a horse that cranked its nose almost to its chest. Sharp, roweled spurs and stinging whips don't get much respect either. How often have we deprecated those who would use brute force to get a horse to do what they want? And what of the praise for TTeam work and incorporating dressage into one's training schedule? Someone on this list uses a signature quoting Parelli to the effect that if your horse isn't doing what you want, you either asked the wrong question or asked it wrong.

Yet here we are talking about "controlling" our horses with various pieces of tack. You can use the euphemism "pressure" if you want but we all know that when sufficient pressure is applied, it's called PAIN.

I'm not speaking from a holier than thou position. When my first Endurance horse started tossing his head, I put him in a running martingale so I could leverage his head down when he did that. Then he started running through the snaffle so I put him in a low port curb. Next he started rooting with the bit so I switched to a hackamore. Today I ride with both a snaffle and a mechanical hackamore as my back up brakes (that's the one with the red reins). So I too have, and do, resort to brute force when I don't have the time to do the right thing... which is improve my horse's training and/or discover why we are having a problem communicating.

We are fortunate that God gives us summers too hot or winters too wet and icy to compete in. It is our opportunity to spend time TRAINING our horses and not just lay them off for a few months, only to come back to the same old problems the next ride season. So go ahead and use whatever you need for now but do not lose sight of the fact that you are not solving a problem. You are just glossing over it.