[RC] Bitting Issue - Valerie Nicoson

OK, gang, thanks for all the advice on my other question(s) and I'll be looking into your suggestions as to what's going on with my gelding with his rear legs getting so stiff.? Meanwhile I have another question :-)

Got a mare a few years back who was "greenbroke" but had been ridden on an LD and she does think about things.? She likes to "help" my husband by carrying off anything she can get to as well.? Good supervision of his work!? Anyway, she came to us having been used in an S-Hack and I liked that idea as I already had an S-Hack for my older mare.? Shortly after we got her home, and since at rides, she likes to nose through the S-Hack and there is little control.? I then put her in a nice 3-piece snaffle and she has gone well in that, except at a ride, and again she roots through the bit with little control.? I didn't know about her going thru that snaffle until we went to a ride and found I had very little control.? However, I was able to borrow a nice shanked bit with 3-piece mouthpiece with a roller for the middle portion of it.? She went great in that and really seemed to like it as well!? I was also very gentle and went easy on the reins but at least I had "whoa" control when needed which was applied carefully.

I really don't like the idea of having to go to stronger bits with this little mare.? She is most definitely quite opinionated and will shake her neck/head which is our warning that she's up to no good.? But once she realizes you can stop her, she behaves herself.? So she obviously checks out the bit to see what she can and can't get away with!? Any bit also has to be tight enough in her mouth that she can't get her tongue over it as well -- if she can, she will.?

Meanwhile I've been unable to find a bit similar to the one we used at that ride and I don't hardly remember it much at all either.? I do recall it was a bit thick on both sides of the roller and there was no extra piece between the roller and the bit like some bits have.?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should use on this mare?? I know she doesn't like a solid low-port Kimberwicke that I use on another horse, went to a clinic and the clinician said it was too harsh of a bit for her.?

Thanks a bunch.? Wanting to do right by this mare.? She has lots of potential.
Val