Re: [RC] dentistry - Lori Bertolucci

I  think if I had a vet do that with me and my horse, I would definitely be looking for another vet. That is way too dangerous!

From: Dyane Smith <sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sherman <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:10:24 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] dentistry

Having had my share of equine dental problems, I don't think vets can see or feel the molars properly without a speculum.  It will be interesting to see if your equine dentist uses a speculum without sedation.  I don't say it can't be done but if a horse has all that hardware holding his mouth open and then decides to swing his head he could kill some bystanders.

On the subject of sedation, I had a really bad "near-miss" when a vet used Ace to sedate my gelding.  She was floating his teeth and he was holding his head up trying to evade the floating.  We were in the stall and he was backed into a corner.  All of a sudden, the vet picked up all her equipment and ran out of the stall, leaving me holding the gelding and frankly befuddled.  My horse then started to pass out, lurched toward the other wall of the stall almost pinning me in the process, fell to the ground and rolled out the eight foot opening, just managing to pick his head up to prevent himself catching it on the wall and breaking his neck.  Turns out, Ace is known to make horses light-headed.