[RC] dentistry - sherman

Title: Message
There are some non-vets that have gone to equine dentistry schools that actually teach how to take care of the teeth, not just convince people that they know what they're doing. I wouldn't use one without a good recommendation though, and I have that. This "equine dentist" does use a speculum, does not use drugs, spends lots of time with the horse in a natural head down "grazing position" as he works on their teeth. I can't remember if he uses power tools, but I think maybe not. I have been told that some horse owners who swore no one could work on their horse's mouth without being sedated were pretty amazed at of this man's ability to calm a horse and work on them without sedation. Anytime work can be properly and safely done without sedation, it is better for the horse, yes? I have heard of some geldings  not being able to retract themselves after being sedated. Thankfully, it is rare, but why take the chance if you don't need to.

So I have my first appointment with him next month. It'll be interesting to watch this man work without sedation. I don't have any horses that aren't doing well I just think it's time for a touch up.  I do check inside their mouths myself on a regular basis, feeling for ulcers and sharp points. I had to learn to do this when my mustang would absolutely NOT let the vet touch her, so the vet had me do it, feel and look, as he stood there guiding me.

Kathy

 Karen Everhart wrote:

I just wish we could convince more Vets of the statement below.  I am AMAZED how many horses we get here, regardless of their origin (loved horses which people can't care for any longer, horses people no longer "want", abused horses, abandoned horses, etc.) and nearly every one of them have significant lesions on the tongues and/or cheeks, even when they tell me that the "vet" just "did" the teeth without a speculum, or sedation, etc.