Re: [RC] How do you call it a day? - Susan Cushing/riding a non arab - Chrystal Woodhouse

I think you are thinking of the FEI rules which I think have something about waiting a certain amount of time  after a metabolic pull .

Thankfully your guy is o.k.,I have competed on a Morgan for 7 yrs and understand the heat problems, I have been known to  call Arabs "mutants' as they happily fly through p/r with a SADDLE on and my little Morgan is being doused with ice.:-) :-) :-) ;-) I always do a happy dance when it rains or snows at a ride and call it Morgan weather.:-) :-)
Things I have found competing on a non Arab:

People are always looking at you strangely wondering WHY you are pouring ice water on  your horse in October when every other horse ( ARABS) are shivering in their blankets!!! :-) ( I try hard not to roll my eyes when an Arab owner commiserates and tells me that their horse is hard to "cool" down as well!!!! :-) :-) :-) LOL   )

Seriously I have found that I need to condition more with a non Arab, and have realized over the years that a lot of the info out there and studies done in this sport have been done on Arabs  so keep that in mind, conditioning schedules/electrolyte protocols, supplements may need to be tweaked for your horse.

The good news is that my horse is  getting better and better  each year, this year she is close to pulsing in with many of our top Arabs, she was actually 5th in the summer at a very tough /hot ride, I never thought she would break into the top five , however she ( luckily) didn't get that memo!!!:-) ;-) I think tougher/slower rides ( so 51/2 or 6 hour 50's) instead flat fast ones are easier on her  (though she loves both) , I like doing 100's on her as we go slower. O.k. I like doing everything on her,but 100's are my favourite .:-)
Take home message? Non Arabs can do this sport............to do it well they need  LOTS of conditioning ( and I try to do it when it is hot outside not cool) after doing 2 yrs of LSD and the horse is being worked regularly I found speed work beneficial, shorter but faster work-outs ,  and yep...............sometimes it is not your day and better to stop than hurt your horse.:-(

Chrystal :-)
P.S I was at a CTR  in the summer and ended up volunteering myself at the water trough where people came in, it was wicked hot and humid  and I figured  the Non arabs need as much help as I could give them to cool them down before pulsing in, I kept a look out for a couple of ladies I had met the night before who were doing their very first ride in long distance and  on Icelandics, I thought for sure those little horses would come in needing a lot of water, they came in looking amazing!!!!!!! I did not have to help them all day, I asked the  lady at the end of the day how they did so well and she told me that they ride 10-15 miles a day 5 day a week so the 25 mile ride was nothing for them.:-) ;-) :-)