Re: [RC] Spooking - Elizabeth Walker

Your fellow really does sound more and more like my old fellow, Shadow.  I could de-sensitize him all day with plastic bags, etc.  As long as the object was "under my control", he would stand there and go to sleep.  But if he thought **I** was not the source of movement, then it became its own entity, and morphed into a scary, horse-eating object.

I could see this happen with a bag on a rope.  At a certain distance, he would lose the connection between me and the bag, and it would then be "alive".  Under that distance, he could see that I was causing the bag to move, so it wasn't scary.

With Shadow, sacking out had definite limitations.  I started when he was just a foal, but it never 'took' because of the way he viewed the 'game'.  He knew I wouldn't hurt him, but even at 25, a gum wrapper blowing in the wind was going to EAT HIM.