[RC] Erratic Spooking & poley things... - Marv Walker

At 08:41 AM 9/3/2009, you wrote:
"The farther you are out on the pivot the greater the speed you have to deal with. If you watch bull riders you'll see those closest to the withers come off fairly easy. Those nearer the rump are flung like a lure on a fishing rod."

So is this why I feel like my balance is horrible since I've started trying to move my saddle back to the more 'agreed' upon location? ha ha. My body wants to be right over her shoulders ;-) Or did I misunderstand? It all makes me want to get used to an australian style saddle (currently ride english), or maybe try the freeform with the poley things...

Poley things?? Yeah, sure, okay, poley things.

Your body seeks her center of gravity.  The center of gravity is that spot
where a pole can be pushed through the horse and the horse will not pivot
when lifted.  The center of gravity is continually changing depending on her
movements but changes from and comes back to a central point.  The closer
you are to that point the more in tune with the horse's movements you are
and the easier it is for the horse to move and for you to ride.

You want to ride in a position where if the horse were suddenly vanish under
you you would drop onto your feet.  This seat drapes your weight over the
horse closer to the center of gravity.  Many ride in what is referred to as a
"chair seat."  This seat pounds your weight onto the horse's back and
hindquarters behind the CG and hampers the horse's impulsion.  This alters
the horse's CG and requires the horse to adjust his CG with yours rather
than you adjusting to the horse's.  If the horse were to suddenly disappear
the rider would drop on his donkey.

Hope this heps.

Marv "Take it easy on me, ol' horse. My center of gravity is all bent over." Walker
Horse Info & Training DVDs ~ http://MarvWalker.com