RE: [RC] running martingale - Cunningham, Marci

A properly adjusted running martingale is not a quick fix or an evil training tool.  Probably most of my 13,000+ miles of endurance has been on horses wearing running martingales.  More than once it has saved me from getting hit in the face by an excited horse while I was mounted.  The biggest adjustment problem I see is setting the rings too low so that a vee forms in the reins and the rider looses direct contact with the horse’s mouth.  The reins should form a straight line from the bit through the martingale rings to the rider’s hands when riding with contact.  Ideally all of our horses should be perfectly trained to not need such training aids but mine all have occasional melt down moments when I am glad to have a running martingale.  I also always ride with a crupper and there are those who think they shouldn’t be necessary on a properly fitted saddle.  As I get older, I have learned not to be so critical of other riders’ tack choices.

Happy Trails,

Marci