[RC] bolting - Dawn Simas

My horse wasn't inclined to bolt, but was terrified of bikes when he was green.  What fixed it was asking riders for their cooperation in riding away and allowing me to "chase" them for a while.  Like Elizabeth inadvertantly taught her horse with hubby.  This seems to give a horse confidence and makes him think they are running from him.  This is the nature that cowboys reinforce for working cows.  We did this with both mountain bikers and dirt bikers on the trails, and after a couple times with each, he was very comfortable with them.

As for the bolting.  To some extent I believe it can be improved upon by establishing leadership.  A horse needs a leader to feel protected.  Otherwise, in their mind, they are a more vulnerable prey animal.  If this is established (through basic respect, discipline, ground control) and solid, it will be much better.  Some horses are more spooky than others, and all horses will spook, but not all horses will bolt afterwards.  If they feel that the person on their back will protect them, there is less need to run away.

I know this isn't a 100% guaranteed fix, but I would start here.  :)

Glad you weren't hurt!

Dawn