[RC] Mongol Derby injuries begin. - Melissa Margetts

Apparently the dangers and harsh reality of the Mongol Derby are starting to kick in for some of the riders. If you go to the Mongol Derby web site, there is a place on the toolbar to click for "Riders" and you can read the blogs that they are posting whenever possible. There certainly are some riders with incredibly impressive adventure backgrounds and profiles. There are also some riders whose profiles and blogs just leave you praying for their very survival in this adventure. I must say that I found it humorous that at least two of the young women riders write in their blogs about their concern for finding Self Tanning lotion (NOT sunscreen ,..Self Tanning lotion!) in Ulaan Baatur to take with them so they look their best for photos taken during the ride. If I was only allowed to carry the absolute bare minimum of emergency survival supplies, food & water, personally I would be concerned about making room for Immodium, antibiotics and water purifying iodine tablets.
They have just started day four and will be now entering the mountainous area of the ride. One rider dropped about before the start of the race so only 25 started. Sadly the Spanish rider, Juan Pepa has been pulled because of severe spinal injuries due to a fall in the first couple of days. He was taken to the hospital 10 hours away back in Ulaan Baatur. It was not said if the one helicopter was used for any of the evacuation or if he was taken via vehicle cross country because of the "non existant" roads. From here on out, that hospital will be getting further and further away.
New Zealand rider Dave Murray was able to send a blog to Horse & Hound Magazine on day three. With all that we've read about the dangers of this ride, who would have thought that one of those hazards would be MARMOT HOLES! Apparently he has had many "unplanned dismounts" several times a day and in one fall, has crashed into a tree injuring his shoulder.
Excerpts from the H&H read: "TOUGH GOING: The 1000km Mongol Derby has turned out to be tougher than former Lake Tekapo man Dave Murray had expected. Murray knows the holes made by the ground-living marmot squirrels are large enough for a horse to step in, sending the rider crashing to the ground just as he has done several times a day since beginning the 1000 kilometre Mongol Derby horse race four days ago.
Mr Murray opted not to wear a helmet at the start of the race as it was so hot. It took only one fall to make him put it on."
Murray writes: "The body is starting to struggle. My back is killing me, I have got no skin on the inside of my legs. Hygiene is not great in Mongolia so we have all got itchy stomachs.You turn up at one of the gers (nomad tents) and the family invites you in. There is just half a sheep on the table, and they cut it off with their hands and hand it to you. You don't care because you are so hungry. You are just eating lumps of fat and anything you can get into your stomach because you are so, so hungry."
(Note to self: Don't forget to write Annie to include lumps of sheep fat and fermented mares milk for dinner on the next Duck ride. We'll pass, on her homemade spaghetti, salad, garlic bread and frosted chocolate cake for our ride dinners)
I was personally happy to read Murrays comments on the Mongol ponies some of us have been concerned about:He is full of praise for the Mongolian horses, which the riders change a couple of times each day.
"I have had some horses that have got hearts of gold, 10 times stronger than some of the horses I have ridden back home."You really have to look after your horse as it is going to get you to the finish line."
A failed vet check could mean disqualification. And it won't get any easier for horses or riders, with the race set to move into mountainous country.
Many riders have praised these ponies and voiced their goal to take care of them the best they can. I am thinking that some of the riders may be encountering some gastrointentinal "discomforts" that may slow them down a bit if they haven't been more proactive in their consumption of their new foreign diets. This excerpt is from the blog of the young rider Matinlda Branson 5 days BEFORE the ride began:
Matilada writes:
"It's summer presently so the nomads eat ONLY dairy products... dried milk curds, fermented mare's milk or 'airag', bread made out of milk.. Just EVERYTHING is made of milk or cream or butter.. and the butter is so so so yummy.. For the first time in my life I understand what 'curds and whey' mean in the childhood rhyme of 'Little Miss Muffet', as I've eaten both in abundance in the last couple of days. "

(Hopefully Matida has made room for the Immodium alongside her Self Tanning cream after scarfing all of those "Yummy" unrefrigerated dairy products along the route.)
Matilda goes on to say:
"I have had plenty of opportunity to find out about Mongolian ponies in the last couple of days... The Mongolian attitude to horses is pretty rough and tough- I've been riding the last few days in a traditional wooden saddle which has absolutely no give in it and you have to stand up when trotting and cantering.. but the ponies are so docile but still willing to do whatever you want- I hate to imagine Kilbert or any of mum's horses in one of them- most of the ponies actually have a white spot either side of their backs, where the rigid little saddles have broken open their backs at some point in their youth, then closed over again with scar tissue... It is difficult to accept the 'they'll be right' attitude towards ponies here, but then again they seem quite happy with their lot (the ponies) and spend most of their time grazing on the steppes and are used only to ride from ger to ger or during droving, which is great fun... My Mongolian is interesting... I have actually made an effort to pick up as much as possible.. Although it's so hard just to memorise a word, it's such an odd language.. Repertoire to date includes 'sun', 'rain', 'dog', 'call off the dog!', 'horse', 'I like to gallop the horse', 'mother', 'father', 'herdsman', 'milk vodka', 'thankyou', 'yes', 'no', 'my name is..', 'Australia', 'sheep', 'camel', 'ankle bone game', 'sky', 'road', 'big', 'small', 'OK', 'lost' and 'sorry'. Surprisingly, these are extremely crucial words in Mongolia, and my most-used by far..
So now I'm quite excited about the race, and have a better idea of exactly what to expect out there on the steppes... I now know it's darn cold at night.. I was literally sleeping in thermals, two shirts, a jumper and my raincoat every night to keep warm, and trying to fit yourself in your raincoat into a small sleeping bag is NOT easy, I can tell you!
(This was written before Matilda had even left Ulaan Batuur and I hope she will be prepared for the cold she will hit when she actually hits the mountain area or if rain, snow or wind should kick in)
"The only downside thus far is a case of red, sore gums which I suspect is an allergic reaction to the complimentary toothpaste I used in the dodgy block-of-wood-to-sleep-on hotel I stayed in when I arrived. A few days of rinsing out my mouth with iodine (intended for water purification but deemed multi-purpose by Matilda the Self-Diagnoser) and a course of antibiotics (intended for emergency UTI's only, but Matilda the Self-Diagnoser strikes again), my poor old gums are screaming for an expert opinion, so definitely a trip to the medic before I leave UB..."
The young British rider Annelie Simmons had her Self Tanning cream on hand for her pre-ride publicity photos for "sport" magazine clad only in her bikini and riding boots. Note to self: Never leave "Sport magazine" out where any serious endurance riders husband might pick it up and conclude that all those seamless ride tights with padded inserts, sports bras, breathable shirts and fleeces, cool medics vests etc are just another costly riding extravagance. The serious, prepared and experienced riders on this adventure will certainly have amazing stories to follow and read. I will be following the other riders stories as well just because I'm sure that they will be even MORE interesting. Gotta love the innocence and confidence of youth.
All kidding aside. You have to admit that there are some plucky youngsters and seasoned adventurers taking on this challeng and you have to hope that they will all be representing our sport of distance riding to the World in the role as responsible caretakers for their mounts. On ridecamp we have debated over this ride and regardless of whether we were opponents or proponents, the ride has still begun and we can all watch, learn and reevaluate our own ideas of what we THINK we know about distance riding in competition. We need to wish them all the best and safest adventure and pray for the safe return of each of them and the hundreds of brave ponies who are participating. 4 days down, one rider with sever spinal injuries and hundreds of km and many days to go.
I still have concerns for the ponies and wish there were a talking horse like "Mr Ed" to keep us updated with blogs from the perspective of the horses. Hey Paul Sidio, can you write us something from their angle next?