[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] Australia: Top lot goes to Dubai at MagicMillions S... - Merri

Efanational.com

The Magic Millions inaugural Sporthorse Sale was held on Saturday evening at their Gold Coast Sale Complex.

109 lots comprising of dressage, jumping, eventing, polo, endurance, showing, breeding stallions and youngstock were put through the sale ring.

Lot 9 topped the sale at $46,000, a 6-year-old endurance mare offered by Toft Endurance Pty Ltd sold to Dubai. In total 39 lots sold for an average price of $10,600.

International buyers from Korea purchased 11 horses, 3 horses were sold to Dubai and Chinese buyers also attended the sale.

The horses were viewed and trialled in the preceding two days at the Gold Coast Polo and Country Club about 40 minutes from the sales complex. Show jumps, dressage arenas and a free-schooling yard were set up on the polo fields to enable prospective buyers an opportunity to try the horses.

On Saturday the horses were moved into the sales complex where they were able to be inspected in-hand but not ridden. Vet checks were available at the expense of the purchaser.

The horses were presented in-hand for the auction as they would be at a thoroughbred sale. The auction started at 5pm and concluded around 9pm.

Attendance was good with most of the seating filled. The bidding was reasonable however the majority of horses were passed in as they did not reach their reserve price (the highest bid of the evening was $75,000 for the black jumping stallion Dutch Choice but it fell short of the reserve).

It appeared that many people were just there as spectators and not as buyers, which was not unusual for the first year of the sale.

Feedback from the vendors was largely positive. Most agreed that the first year was always going to be the most difficult but they were eager for Magic Millions to persevere.

"It is really important that we stick with this idea and support Magic Millions," said Peter Toft of Toft Endurance, "it is exactly what our industry needs."

"I think it is a good idea and with some fine tuning it could work very well," commented Olympic rider Vicki Roycroft who, along with Adam Mellers, acted as an advisor for Jumping .

"I sold the three horses that I brought," said event rider Kevin McNab, "next year I'll bring a lot more."

David Chester, Managing Director of Magic Millions, said that they were very excited about the development of the sale and the marketing of Australian Sporthorses around the world.

"To create international exposure for Australian performance horses, will be of great benefit to the development of the industry as a whole, and we envisage this concept will only grow from strength to strength," said David.

Industry professionals from each discipline formed a sale committee to advise Magic Millions and to assist with the selection of horses. Jumping – Adam Mellers and Vicki Roycroft, Dressage – Brett Parbery, Polo – Ian "Ginger" Hunt, Eventing – Tim Boland, Showhorse – Kim Durante and Endurance – Peter Toft.
Photos coming soon.

--
Posted By Merri to Endurance Riding: News at 8/17/2009 05:53:00 PM