[RC] Tevis fascination is making me a better rider - Mary Krauss

My friend Joanne, her two boys, her mother Lollie, my three kids, and I have made a tradition out of hanging out at Tevis every year. Just being there is exciting. The number of people is deceptive--you'd never know there were so many because the whole event seems warm, familiar, and friendly. We hang out at the vetting in, rider-list in hand, making notes about what each horse looks like, what shoes they're using, what saddles, how they're being handled, etc. Ok, we even kinda make bets, not for money or anything, but just as a test of our judgment of equine and rider readiness. We had to hide the papers eventually though because people kept asking us questions about where to put tack for the weighing in and so on. We looked official apparently.

This year I had high hopes for the most perfect little black stallion.... He was pulled eventually, but man-oh-man, what a cool package. His owner loved him--that's always puts a big star next to the name on my list. Still haven't gone back through to see whether apparent affection between horse and rider makes a difference in completion rate. I want to believe it's hugely significant but can't promise. We did see a bit of ugliness at Robinson Flat where a man in line for the vet kept yanking his horse who was frantically stomping all four legs. Hopefully most of us would look for the cause rather than growling and yanking the horse who was obviously uncomfortable. My friend Joanne kept muttering, "why doesn't he take the interference boots off and rinse his legs. He's gonna get pulled. There's no way his heart rate is going to get low enough. I can't believe he's going to get pulled just for failing to rinse his horse's legs...." I urged her to say something but agreed the guy looked way too angry and frustrated to be open to suggestions. Sure enough, after a couple of retries, he got pulled, sound horse or no. Crazy.

(Btw, I personally had no idea that drying sweat/water on the boots would pull hairs and irritate a horse so much--but that's exactly what was happening. At first people went looking for biting ants, but no other horses were stomping. The guy finally pulled the hinds, the horse immediately got less restive, but he never got around to pulling the fronts, nor to rinsing the legs. Like him, I wouldn't have understood what was happening, but I sure as heck would have been yelling for help and advice.... Joanne's experienced eye and judgment has seen her through three Tevis's and have saved me in the very few rides I've done. I kinda' doubted her at first, then watched the scene unfold exactly as she predicted. We felt really bad for the guy and his horse--I kept thinking all day, wow, if he'd only rinsed those legs, he mighta had a completion. Gorgeous, fit horse. ugh.)

Let's see, there were so many interesting dramas--these are what make endurance so deeply meaningful, Tevis in particular. Turns out we were picnicking right next to Melissa of "Big Girl Panties" fame--oh, and of unbelievably-brave-determined-and-cheerful fame as well. We were the "really lame crew" who barely helped her as she and Cabo made their way through Tevis two years ago. We had three exhausted children, one vomiting, and me who knew next to nothing about crewing. Not much help. Melissa doesn't want much help though. She, like many good riders, likes to take care of her own horse for the most part. Cabo looked more fit than two years ago when Melissa said famously, "I'll never ask him to do that again." Hah! He's a game little guy. This year he looked as though he could have won the thing. That your next goal Melissa??!!! First Paso to win Tevis??

We also ran into Sharon and Fire. Sharon stopped by to fill me in on part of the reason she and I took the wrong loop at Sunriver a few weeks ago--She'd had a concussion! (My excuse? uhhh. Inexperience? Failure to distinguish "black/pink stripe and white" from "Black and white" ribbons? General idiocy?) Turns out she'd probably lost consciousness the night before when her horse knocked her over. Someone mentioned that she'd moved her trailer 4 times that night after the accident. She couldn't remember blacking out or moving her rig. Wow. I was SO happy to see her. She'd not been sure about bringing Fire since they hadn't completed Sunriver--where he fell under my mare in the trailer trip back to the missed turn--we were doomed that day.) Joanne and I were positive he could do Tevis. He was still pulling and prancing 67 miles into Sunriver--all that cruddy downhill and all. He's amazing. We tracked 'em all day. Sure enough, they did great! Oddly Sharon and Melissa wound up pretty close together which made tracking them easy and fun. Both of them took "ride my own ride" approach for sure. Sharon's really good at that. All through Sunriver, my first 100 attempt, she kept saying, don't worry about those others who are riding faster. We're gonna' move up and we won't have tired horses with stressed tendons." She was completely right--had we not missed the turn it was going exactly as she predicted. At Tevis she took the same steady approach and wound up 43rd after being pretty far back initially. She also insists on doing most of her own caretaking--though she had a really nice, effective person helping her out. I can't remember the woman's name. It was kinda' funny to watch Sharon accept help actually--she and Melissa both are patient but deep down clearly wish they could do everything themselves. That's the thing about knowing one's horse, you're the only one who knows them really well.

Watching both Melissa and Sharon, and listening to Joanne and her mother Lollie (also completed Tevis 3 times!) helped me understand why experienced people do so well. One's judgment is so important. Every step of the way one is making little judgment calls. I think beginners who have zero pride do pretty well too. Listening and respecting experience is almost, well, sorta' close to the same as having it yourself. Look at the guy from England who top-tenned this year--I believe Tevis was his first 100 miler! And on someone else's horse! (Yes, the horse was conditioned for him, but he was wise enough to listen to advice and experience and wound up with a spectacular finish on a happy horse. Huge admiration for that guy. Christopher Baker, right?)

Another learning scenario involved Fred Emigh who let his friend Mark Engemann ride Comet--Mark and Comet wound up coming in 10th, and Comet looked as though he could do it all again right then. Fred is so obviously brilliant (as is Mark who must have done everything right, including being in great shape. That guy looked fresh as a daisy at the finish line). Just watching Fred go to work on his horse at each stop, listening to him and Mark discuss when Comet was ready to be presented to the vet, and so on was a lesson in focus, efficiency, and knowledge (yes, Joanne and I are TERRIBLE eavesdroppers and busybodies--even tried to pry info out of Fred's delighted and delightful mother at the finish line). It was also a lesson in how fun it is to do well. Earlier Fred told us he doesn't love Tevis because the results can be pretty random--well-prepared, well-ridden horses get pulled all the time. So he hadn't over-committed to a top- ten finish, but, man, once he realized how well his team was doing, let's just say he was pretty happy.

Back to that notion of affection between horse and rider--watching Fred handle his horses is moving. Have you ever noticed how some vets have a kinda' magical way of touching horses--kinda' gentle and sure? Fred, like my friend Joanne, has that touch. Every move is soft, sure, unsurprising. His horses never flinch. On the other hand, the guy rides really competitively when he feels a horse is ready. The horses seem to trust him and simply go when he asks. He's careful though--his horse probably could have won the Bandit Springs 80 miler but that wasn't part of his plan. And he stuck to the plan to the benefit of his horse who looked as good at the end as he did at the start. Still don't get why they didn't get the BC. His horse came into the ride with a scrape on his back--is that enough to knock one out?

Funny gossipy detail: a few people got funny ideas about Fred when he came up to Oregon for Bandit Springs. He rode like the pro he is, saved me from the wiley machinations of other top ten riders (an interesting bunch those fast riders are), and wound up frustrating someone who then spread a few nasty bits of inaccuracies around camp. (Though I believe the producer of the rumors probably believed them to be true. Most people don't lie intentionally.) For the record--don't piss him off because I'll bet he will always beat you fair-and-square if you do. Also, he doesn't seem to care if someone he doesn't admire likes him or not. On the other hand, don't mistake his focus and honesty for disdain. He took unbelievable care of me for the first 50 miles of that ride--someone he'd never met before. Every single tidbit he told me turned out to be right. He's brave too--in all those miles he never mentioned once that his stirrup was irrevocably messed up. He wound up having to ride all 80 miles on tiptoe. Agonizing I'll bet, but he didn't say a word. Most telling of all is the way he trains. Joanne watched him work with an excited mare at the trailer (we camped nearby): she said the process was a lesson in patience. He got the mare through the 50 miler the next day with a few joking comments about her witchiness, but, by days' end, she was a changed horse. He didn't put up with bad behavior--allowed no kicking, pulling, pushing--but he wasn't tough or rough. He gently and firmly taught the horse how to behave and wound up with a calmer, steadier beast. Some day I'd like to buy a horse from him. Hear that Fred??? Not one of the bizillion dollar ones though, k?

So, to summarize these musings: a newbie like me is learning tons just by paying attention to all that goes on at Tevis: I learned your odds of finishing go up tremendously if you bring a fit horse, get in shape yourself, have your gear figured out and organized, keep a grip on your emotions (stay cheerful), and above all else, LISTEN. Listen to your horse for sure, but also listen to all the experience surrounding you. Joanne and Lollie already know tons, but they still seem to learn as much as I do. (Joanne's fascination this year was with hoof-protection--how the latest innovations were holding up. My particular fascination was with horse handling and pastern angles.) Maybe that's what's so fun about this ride--there are so many smart, experienced people around. It's not crowded but enough so the eavesdropping opportunities are awesome. And you can't help running into all the characters you hear about on Ridecamp. It's like getting to walk around in a novel. My 11 year-old daughter Clara holds on to the trail ribbon Julie Suhr gave her a few years ago upon a chance encounter at Robinson Flat--Clara says I can braid it into Indy's mane next year when we do Tevis--but she says I can't lose it "because I promised Julie I'd braid it into Benny's mane when WE do Tevis." Now that's a magical effect!

Mary K.