[RC] Big Horn vs. Tevis - haulnoats

From having done both rides, I agree with you that the Big Horn is a beautiful ride though the base camp sucks, as it is dry, hot, dusty and full of sticker bushes, without a tree in sight. The Tevis trail offers a bigger variety of "obstacles" to some people, whether it be the narrower trails, steeper drop offs, water crossing, hot canyons with switchbacks, bridge crossing, asfault into and out of little towns,and dust,dust,dust. This VARIETY of challenges certainly attracts some people.
The Big Horn offers the same climbs and elevation, but also offers high plains dessert as well as beautiful and picturesque mountain meadows full of wildflowers,technical downhills that are rocky or have slick rock, plus the sence of the wide-open-no-one-around-for-a-bazillion-miles feeling. It is also far more "laid back". The biggest "danger" that you feel is that you are truly in the middle of nowhere and if anything were to go wrong even the ride management has very little radio service, no cell service etc. If you get off trail, you could actually be out there till the next day for anyone to get to you, which HAS happened on this ride.
Riding the Big Horn absolutely feltike we had accomplished a difficult ride, but at no time did I feel that I was riding where with one slip my horse or myself, we could plummet to our deaths. The Tevis DOES have that added element of danger that is an adrenaline rush for many folks. The Tevis takes far more commitment and preparation that's inherantly needed to ride a point to point ride. A point to point ride requires you to involve the help of more friends in order to crew AS WELL as move vehicles etc. Suddenly there is you, double your friends, your horse, and it is starting to feel more like a party with a group of folks sharing a mutual cammeraderie. There is NO DOUBT that there is a palpable BUZZ that you feel when you drive into Robie Park which has turned into a small city over night. Each rider with 1,2 or more friends to crew, another 1 or 2 folks to move trailers and of course there is the spare horse you brought just in case your "Tevis horse" didn't vet in. So if there are two hundred riders each with 4 crew and two horses, thats 1,000 people and 400 horses all in one campground! Not counting bazillions of volunteers and vendors etc. GEEZE! It FEELS EXCITING! And that excitement continues from Robie throughout every part of the ride and every vet check. You could get exhausted just from the excitement without even riding. Just ask anyone who crews that ride. That BUZZ is certainly a draw.
There is of course, the history, the stories, the ledgends that are attached to Tevis as well as so many parts of the trail that we have all heard about. Cougar Rock, the Swinging Bridge, Pucker Point, No Hands, The Water Crossing etc. etc. They are both wonderful rides. One just feels like you are going to Woodstock and the other feels like you are going to a great but more low key and intimate concert.
Each has their great points and BOTH should absolutely be on everyone's "To Do" list. People who want to do a difficult ride but don't care for the "death wish" feeling, if heights bother them and the nightmare of transportation juggling,& the anxiety of soooo many people on the trails and in the camp and vet checks, would probably prefer the Big Horn and will not miss a single thing. Plus they will have ridden a ride that is just as technically challenging and one to be proud of compleeting.Tevis is something that is worth experienceing at least ONCE whether you ride it, crew or volunteer. Especially if you are a babyboomer who is sorry they missed Woodstock.