[RC] loosing shoes at Tevis - Melissa Margetts

I have a question about what shoes are mostly used at Tevis. Christoph puts his equiflex shoes on my guy for all the 100's and they have never failed me once. They are very light, give good protection to the frog, NEVER slip on slick granite or asphalt and we seem to be able to get up to 350 miles out of a pair and we have NEVER lost one yet. At Tevis, my friend Renee Norris lost first one shoe (fixed by an easy boot she carried) then damn if she didn't lose another. She had a Farrier at Fransiscos slap a shoe on and damn if she didn't start to hear the tell tale clink another loose shoe. No one had a size OO easy boot and the cut offs were looming so she had to pull with a horse who still had a lot of "Go" in the tank but no shoe. She said her horse had not been interfering and she was Sooo disappointed as this was her third attempt and still no buckle. I was told that the major companies making the horse shoe nails have started using a cheaper alloy but the nails are weaker and shoes are coming off faster. Has anybody else heard of this? I heard that Garrets glue on gloves were a great success and that only one person lost a glove. Do most people still use steel shoes for this ride?