Re: [RC] OT - marshall Bates

"Only the end that matters?" I don't think so. Check points have closing times for good reason. If the timers had to deal with 170 different start times it would be a nightmare and if communications were to break down (ie radio and cell phone) it would be even worse. Timing at a "regular" ride (And I've never seen one where all riders cross the start line at once, nor would I want to be involved in that chaos) is a big enough problem.
Marsh the muleman