Re: [RC] OT - Diane Trefethen

LOL Bruce... which one of us is pushing 70? Since the Indy 500 keeps track of how many laps each car has completed and all the spectators know that the car crossing the finish line at any given time isn't really finishing, I think it's safe to say the technology exists to track horses on a point to point ride. We just need to decide which is more important, the old time feeling of a head to head race or giving every team a fair crack at the course. If we staggered the start, that would raise questions. What would be the best way to chose who went first? How would Ride Management know which horses were overtime and which weren't? And plenty of others, I'm sure. But that's the nature of progress. You overcome a known problem and up pop different ones to solve. Hopefully each iteration gets you closer to whatever goal you have set. I tend to favor fairness in man-made situations. Laws, for instance, should be fair because we humans create them. Weather, at least up until now, isn't fair or unfair. It just is. When the time comes that we can control it, then how we do that will fall into the fair or unfair purview.

Certainly there would be much more strategy to riding Tevis if the starts were staggered. It would put more onus on the riders to keep track of their own real time and there'd be a greater need for some sort of way to let riders know how their real time compared with that of others. I'm guessing that until a better method was devised, the starting order would use recent records of average race speeds to determine starting position with the faster horses first. Since each horse would be competing against the clock, that wouldn't necessarily favor the faster horses but it would mean that there'd be fewer bottlenecks since the general tendency would be for the horse/rider teams to become more and more strung out as the faster horses moved further and further away from the slower ones. Passing would be less of a problem.

We all know nothing is going to change for next year and probably not for the next 20 years, but they will eventually change. I wish I could be around to see how it all turns out <wry grin>.