[RC] Tevis obstacles - sbolinge

A million years ago when my daughter and I did the Tevis, we had the best mentors we could have, Hal and Ann Hall. We got to stay with them for a week before the ride and they told us everything we needed to know...ONe of the very most important points made was that we needed to try to start toward the very front(this was before there were PENS). Of course we thought we knew best on that one as in all rides we had done up to the point we always started toward the end and almost always ended up in the top ten. Surely we could do the same thing at Tevis... WRONG. The number of riders on the narrow trail is a HUGE factor to whether you make cut offs or not.  As Bruce says, just part of the program. However, now that they have pens, wouldn't it be a really good strategy to try to get in the first pen?? I assume you have to meet certain qualifications to get in that pen...Sort of like the big marathons like the boston marathon...all the world class runners get to start at the front. Soooo, how is it decided who gets to be in the fi rst pen? (We ended up finishing that year, making each cut off at each check by just a few minutes)