Re: [RC] Tevis/Thumps - Horseraser

years and years ago I had my horse thump at a ride-Jim Steere was my vet. He said to go back to my trailer and feed my horse some alfalfa. He may "right himself" I did and my horse completed with no problems. I have crewed for a horse that thumped and we gave him some calcium tabs and alfalfa (again) and the horse again "righted himself". These are my personal experiences and have not had a horse pulled for thumping. I know several top ten riders that have had this problem and corrected their horse by adding Calcium tabs to their electrolytes. I have read several articles about thumping and there are several ideas on the matter. If someone has a recent article please send it my way-I love to research and compare all research done on certain conditions.
A long time ago we used to make a homemade electrolyte mixture that Courtney Hart had formulated. It consisted of calcium shell, salt and other stuff...when I used that mixture (I probably had the ratio mixed up) that is when my horse thumped.
So those are my experiences
Micki