Re: [RC] Tevis & Thumps-wrecksduke - Truman Prevatt

Dianna Chapek wrote:
No, there were no over zealous vets at Tevis.  The vets are there to protect the horses & that's what they do.  Thumps is not something to take lightly as it can lead to death if not dealt with correctly.  I find it disturbing that your friend gave the horse Tums with it's AERC prohibited drug, Famotidine.  Your friend was in violation of AERC rules.  Worse yet is that your friend gave a drug to the horse just so he/she could go on.  The horse was very fortunate that it wasn't in trouble because it could have ended up on an IV line, or worse.

Dianna

While it is news to me that Tums are in violation of the AERC drug rule. I expect it is news to all the people that have been adding Tums to their electrolyte mix for years. But given the status of the AERC drug rule - nothing would surprise me. However, I tend to agree that giving Tums to get a horse to stop thumping to get it through the check is not in the spirit of our sport nor in the best interest of the horse if in fact that was what was done.

Truman
--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan