[RC] Western Maine Pioneer - Charles Coleman

I am still recuperating from my "vacation"  which I plan for all year long. Even if I do not haul to any other ride this one stays on my calendar. For 2 reasons one is the offering of 5 days your choice LDs or endurance rides and the other reason is my husbands oldest son and family lives one hour from Fryeburg Fairgrounds where the ride takes place. This year Charles finally got drawn moose permit so he was especially happy to dump me off and head further north to scout for moose.
The game plan as always is to ride 5 days although I am now quite content to just do LDs. I have a new horse Haz Mat 3/4 Morgan 1/4 Arabian and a friend along with her horse Possum 3/4 Atrabian 1/4 standardbred. Possum I had bought for myself orginally but he never grew quite as big as I would have liked so now he boards here and his new owner likes to compete as well. Our motto is "Done by One" which most LDS this has not been a problem with.
However Tuesday day one(35 miles) due to the fact there is only one vet the LDs do not start till 10 a.m.! It is very HOT the mosquitos are horrendous (Maine has had eons of rain which means eons of bugs and no river crossing which means the not as nice trails). We finished near 5 with very broken fun-meters and NO intention of doing another 35 in the heat. So we sat Wednesday(same trail) out very unhappy hanging around camp feeding the mosquitos. Days 3 thru 5 were 25 mile days another vet came rides started at 7 and we finished all 3 days done by 11:30 actually! Mat and Possum did 110 LD miles none the worse Mat pulses a lot faster than Hawk. I was loving the hop off and call for pulse thing even in the heat he was outpulsing Possum.
Maybe next year the rains will stop, the river will drop and I will finish 5 days! This is proabably one of the nicest campgrounds you will ever stay at and there is lots of neat stuff to do in Maine (if you have enough bug spray on). Thanks to all who helped put on this ride. Mary