I sent an email to Montana Cincha about this.  Guess what?  They said they are in the process of developing a mohair with elastic ends!  They hope it will be out around the November timeframe.  It also sounded as if the Distance Depot folks would be carrying it on their web site.

Yippee!

By the way - they also said that (as I suspected), the main problem was attaching the elastic to the mohair strings.  I can't wait to see what they come up with.

On Jul 30, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Kristen A Fisher wrote:

I swear, if someone would make a string/mohair girth with elastic they would make a bloody fortune.

I would be the first in line.

Kristen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Walker
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:46 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] Mohair cinches

Caisson is built round, so there is some 'roll' if the saddle isn't tight enough.  However, because there is no elastic in these girths, If it is tightened too much, he will get swelling where the buckles sit (on one side only).  I believe that is because he is extra-sensitive on that side due to a bee sting a few years ago.  I added sheepskin to make an extra buckle backing, and as long as I don't have the cinch cranked too tight, everything works fine.  I tighten it just enough to be snug.  I tighten to one hole below the final position so I can mount.  It is fairly snug at that point.  Then I mount and walk around a few steps, and check.  It is usually obviously loose, so I tighten it one hole so that it is snug again, but not tight.