[RC] bee warning/Overlook - Kathie Ford

Hi All, just wanted to put this on quickly. Don't know if anybody else is going to pre-ride the Tevis finish this week or not..but a warning...

A bee hive on a dead branch snapped off and fell dead smack in the trail just out of the Overlook. We heard it snap and fall just as we passed. Another rider was coming back in and he had bees all around. We think he and his horse were okay.

They appear to be honey bees but not sure. The hive looks like a huge brown pine cone and is tempting to go over but DONT.

They don't seem to be yellow jackets but I don't know every type of bee that makes a hive in a tree. So just be careful. We were lucky.

They were still there in the middle of the single track trail when we came back too several hours later but were quite. We didn't want to disturb them and there is a short save path around them to the right (coming into the Overlook) and to the left (going out). We were able to do this but safely.

I'll call the rangers at ASRA (Auburn State Rec ARea) tomorrow morning to remove it.

Let anybody know that may ride that trail this week. Needs to be removed before Tevis for sure...

ride safe,
kathie

NEW mobile Hotmail. Optimized for YOUR phone. Click here.