[RC] Sidelined! - Kathleen

Hey Valerie,

First day of spring break 1985 I was out conditioning my horse and she stepped in a hole and did a somersault.  I was launched into space and tucked and rolled; I honestly didn’t process how I landed as all I could think about was that my horse was going to have a broken leg.  I jumped up and ran to her and checked her all over before I noticed my right arm way in the classic broken collar bone position.  I walked home leading my horse where my husband un-tacked for me and took me to emergency.  X-rays revealed a separated shoulder and broken collar bone.  Treatment back then was to keep the arm immobile in a sling that strapped it to my side and a figure 8 sling for the collar bone.

Not that I would recommend it now, but at the time I recruited one of my junior high students to ride my back-up horse and help me tack my horse and I was back conditioning in slings in about 3 weeks ( I took lots of pain killers).  I did a 50 about 7 weeks later still in slings (the ride manager would only let me ride if I rode with a local surgeon and his wife, a surgical nurse).  I did do PT for about 4 months to regain range of motion and was a walking barometer for years.

I take lots of glucosamine and MSM now and visit my chiropractor every two weeks.  I also have a slope to my right shoulder that causes bra straps to slide off so I use T-Backs and hook the straps of non T-backs together with elastic to hold the right strap up.

I would seek some professional advice for a rehab program in order to heal fast and heal well.  You want to retain/regain your full range of motion and shoulder joints are a little tricky to rehab.

I bet your customers are anxious for your return too!

Good – luck

Kathleen Ferguson