[RC] Strangles & other Health relateds questions - wendy mancini

    Luckily, I have never had an experience with Strangles.
    What I will say is, when it comes to your horse's health, do your homework at reliable websites such as www.thehorse.com which is the website for the AAEP (American Association of Equine Practitioners) and www.aaep.org .  Both sites will provide the most up to date, evidence based information.  Other sites that can be helpful are University websites for Veterinary Medicine.  These websites provide guidelines and note that specific circumstances may vary and should be considered in consultation with a vet.  There may be sites with "antidotal" information but keep in mind that 1 experience does not translate to thousands.
    Also, when it comes to disinfection, check out the recommendations.  Bleach is a great disinfectant but it is not necessarily the best when there is a large amount of organic matter (manure).  So you have to consider where you are using it.
    Human medicine doesn't translate to Veterinary medicine but the principles of evidence based practice do.

Wendy Mancini, RNBC, MSN, APN