[RC] When does a newbie cease being a newbie - Melinda Faubel

I am NOT there yet so I don't know first hand, however, in endurance I have been told that the first 1000 miles of competition have the steepest learning curve.  I think at 1000 miles I could start saying things like "this is what works for me and my horses".  Before then, I don't know if my ideas have actually had enough "field testing" yet.  What works in my first 500 miles might not hold up over the test of time and miles.

Not saying that anyone with less than 1000 miles has nothing to contribute, however I am much less likely to try something that seems a little radical if there isn't a test of miles and time behind it.

And I do think that competition miles are completely different from trail/conditioning miles!!!!  Just because someone is an accomplished horseperson with many thousands of miles under their belts doesn't make them qualified to give endurance advice (although many tricks of the trade transfer quite nicely).

Melinda