[RC] Log book -- What do you record - Melinda Faubel

I use a half size planner that has a week across two page.  For each day I record everything that i did with the horse -

What supplements and extras besides hay

Where I rode (trail or arena).  If arena - how long, gaits, and general info about what I was trying to do.  If trail - heart rate recoveries, distance, time, place, whether or not I trailered. Any other notes or tack issues.  Sometimes I record what saddle I used if I'm using a couple of saddles on a horse.  Any injuries or interference spots.  Anything that happened that I think might be an injurry later (for example - slipped badly on rocks)

General horse attitude

Farrier work, vaccines, wormings, vet calls

In addition my log book (in the "Note pages" that always seem to come with these books) contains phone numbers for the boarding stable, vet, farrier etc.  All the horses registration numbers, a full description, including age, tattoos, and any other identifiying marks.  I also record trailer milage and which horse was trailered.  All my rides are recorded as well.  I total up milage on a weekly, monthly, and yearly basis (trail milage only, arena doesn't count) and keep recorded in the front of the book so I can keep an eye on how fast I'm increasing distance.

It takes 2 minutes a day to keep the log book updated for 2 horses.  It is invaluable in case there is an issue with the horse.  I can tell my vet EXACTLY what happened in the last 2 weeks with it.  I use my trailer as my tack room so the books stay there and every night I update.  I will always have my horses information and any horsey emergency numbers because the books are in the trailer no matter where I go.

Here is an example entry:

Cleaned pen.
Fed PP+2R (means I fed her one complete dose of platinum performance plus 2 pounds of "ration".  A ration is defined as 1/2 LMF gold and 1/2 BP by weight, so she got ~ 1 pound of each.  Some other abbriviations: 2 BP = 2 pounds Beet pulp etc.)
Farrier trimmed
Rode 5 miles on canal, walk/trot.  Good attitude a little spooky.  50 minutes, trotted in, heart rate 58 in under 1 minute.  Small cut over eye looks better today.

I've used this system for about 2 years and it works very well for me.  Maximum amount of information recorded in the minimum amount of effort.  Very easy to go back and see trends and look up information.  Last year I did a log book for each horse (I have 2 and I'm doing endurance with both of them.  If one was just for pleasure riding, I probably wouldn't bother).  This year I'm going to try to use 1 log book for both horses.  It's not as neat and orderly to do it that way, but I'll see how it works.

Sometimes it's a WHOLE week where I don't ride.....it feels like a month...but I can be realistic and see that no, it actually has only been a week and I'll be fine for the ride I have planned!  Other times I tell me myself "it hasn't been that long", when I can go back and see that actually it's been 6 weeks since I have been on a trail conditioning ride (again, arena miles don't count in my book!)

Sorry this was so long,

Melinda