Re: [RC] When does a newbie cease being a newbie? - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Those people that don't ever "get it"...they  are not Newbies...they are non-comprehenders.

jody

--- On Tue, 1/13/09, Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] When does a newbie cease being a newbie?
To: "Beth Leggieri" <trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 9:24 AM

It depends on the person. The Baltimore Ravens QB came right out of college -
and not a big name football college at that - stepped into the starting job and
now has led his team to the division championship game. While he is a rookie -
it is in name only. Some QB's come out of big name football colleges and
never learn to read a defense in the pros and are "forever newbes" ;-)
.

So I think it is based more on the judgement and horsemanship skills of the
rider than a fixed time. There was a rider in the SE who picked did a few
endurance rides. He was an experienced eventer and a good horseman. After
talking with people he did quite well on his first rides. I'd not call him a
newbe although he was new to the sport. On the other hand I know some riders
that have been at it for years, have gone through numerous horses and still
don't have a clue.

Truman

Beth Leggieri wrote:
> Now here's a question that should provoke some thought.  At what point
does a newbie cross over?  This would seem to follow the thought line about the
"forever green" horse -- started and is technically under saddle but
not a seasoned campaigner and never will be due to lack of exposure or failure
to process experiences, etc.  (I confess I will always "feel" like a
newbie because the more I learn, the more I realize how much I have to learn.
Having been tested at every level--emotionally, mentally, and
physically--Endurance is the ultimate challenge.)
>  So . . . at what point does the transition occur?  After the first 10
recorded rides?  After the first 50?  After the first 100?  After the heartbreak
of losing your seasoned horse and starting over with another one?  After the
first pull, regrouping, and trying again on another day?

--
"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of
one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that