RE: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.6739 - Natalie Herman

Ok, so I have a Q about cavalry too...so WHY do I have to "hold" my horse for tacking, going to the portapotty, etc??? I mean, were there no trees/bushes where the cavalry rode? My horse ties great and no "person" is helping me then... just curious where that rule came from...same thing with hay on the ground...I would figure anything you "find" is fair game...as long as it is "leftovers"...it would be like eating grass or something...I am sure if cav guys rode by farms and all, they might scavange hay too... I could see where MAYBE hay would be a possible no no...maybe...but having to hold your horse every second when it ties to "natural objects" (so tying to a truck or trailer at the VC is out, but trees, sagebrush, whatever should be ok...)...
   Nat

“Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.
It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.”

–Ralph Waldo Emerson.

> Hi Michelle - I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you d=
> o your homework up front.=A0=A0Since this isn't your first time experiencin=
> g a ride, you should be fine.=A0=A0Plan what you want to=A0bring to eat for="">> both you and your horse.=A0 Don't forget electrolytes and probi if you use=
> them.=A0 I=A0always bring Advil=A0too.=A0=A0Practice riding with your set =
> up at home so you don't run into any day-of-ride issues.=A0 Watch out for a=
> nything that flops, rubs, or weighs too much.=A0 You may even want to simul=
> ate a lunch break into your conditioning ride to get your horse used to eat=
> ing out of whatever container you'll use (I highly recommend Debbie Lashley=
> 's Cav Bowl - look her up on the AERC member directory).=A0 =0A=0ASome ride=
> rs bring mini fold-up chairs or stools, but I never found them to be useful=
> .=A0=A0 I usually just sit on the ground, but I have never done a 100 Cav -=
> maybe someday!=0A=0APractice tacking your horse without any help and witho=
> ut tying him to anything stationary.=A0 This is useful anytime you don't ha=
> ve a crew. =0A=0ADon't forget a=A0mini bottle of bug spray for warm weather=
> rides.=0A=0AThe only potential problem you might=A0find is that you'll hav=
> e to trot out your own horse at all VC's.=A0 If you have problem knees/legs=
> , etc, you'll want to=A0be prepared to drop Cav in case you can't trot your=
> horse out on your own.=0A=0AEvery ride that does Cav has its own rules.=A0=
> Be familiar with them before you start.=A0 You don't want to go through al=
> l the extra work just to get bumped out of Cav. =0A=0A=0AYou can talk to an=
> yone, they just can't help you by holding your horse, running errands, etc.=
> =A0 You'll get=A0teased all day by folks who will refer to you as a leper a=
> nd try=A0to=A0trick you into breaking the rules.=A0 Its pretty fun, but be =
> careful!=A0 =0A=A0=0AIf there's anything I can do to help you, give me a ca=
> ll.=A0 931.682.2772.=A0 I am a huge fan of Cavalry and would like to get ot=
> hers interested too!=A0 You may find, like I did, that you don't need all t=
> he extra junk we so often haul to=A0a VC.=A0 Riding Cav=A0puts more emphasi=
> s on the relationship between rider and horse.=A0 =0A=0AAngie Fura =0A=0A=

Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.