Re: [RC] over reach boot reviews? - Esprech/Carrie - Truman Prevatt

Carrie,

I'd recommend the pull on type if you are going to use bell boots. They are lighter, made of softer rubber (so you can pull them over the foot), don't fly off and get lost like the Velcro on versions and in my experience tend to cause less running (I'm in FL and feel you pain about sugar sand).

My mare had this problem when I started her many years ago.  Part of the issue is farrier word, make the break over in the front a little faster, square off the rear toes to make shorten the stride behind a little. The second part is balance. What I did was dressage lessons and then some jumping work. After that - I threw away the bell boots.

Truman

Hi,

I recently purchased a great little morgan mare. I live in the sandy
southeast and the poor girl tore up a piece of her left front heel with
her own over reach. I believe this happened at a trot. I know bell boots
are the classic response but i am concerned about the amount of sand we
have and rubs resulting from the boots. Anyone out there have a
fantastic review on a good boot? What about the neoprene type? I have
considered buying a pastern type wrap and then using either a neoprene
bell boot or regular rubber one. suggestions or ideas? Next farrier
visit I will talk to him about squaring off her rear toes  but any other
suggestions?
Thanks
Grace in SC

Carrie Kitley

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan