[RC] Older trailer, horse accident at ride - Naomi Preston

At the Bandit Springs ride last weekend, a horse ended up with his front legs breaking through the manger of a straight-load smaller two- horse trailer, just leaving camp to go home.  There was a happy ending to this accident, but it took over an hour of work from many folks, and involved using a hack saw to free the horse.  A sawzall, if one had been available, would have freed this horse in minutes.  A suggestion was made by Charleen Farrell, to the PNER folks,  that Ride Managers -- especially in remote areas -- have a sawzall available, just in case.  And a reminder to all of us, (especially those with older trailers) to check the safety of our trailers, because, as we know, horses do the darndest things.  Check your floorboards under the mats, check your hitch, check your tires, and see if there's anything a horse can get caught in or hurt on if they do something unexpected.  (I'm sure I've left some safety things out.....)

Let's keep our horses safe!

Naomi