Re: [RC] Vet hold time on an LD - heidi larson

It depends on the ride - however, there are benefits to a shorter hold if the
ride is exceptionally tough and you may need the time to complete.  You can
ALWAYS stay longer than required if you think your horse needs more time to eat
or rest.  If there are more vets to keep the line moving smoothly, a shorter
time is ok with me, plus I'll leave a few min. late if my horse is into his
"grub".  Longer holds in hot weather with little shade are problematic.  So, to
answer, it really depends on the ride, the heat, humidity, terrain, etc.  In an
LD, I've always thought 45 min. was a nice amt. of time.  I was at a
particularily tough ride last weekend (Renegade Rendezvous) and the I think the
LD riders had 45 min.  There was only one "real" pull (my daughter) and though
there was a low completion, it was for over time!  The pull was not anything
serious at this point, but my daughter and the vets thought it was best to pull
just to be safe.  (Older horse, low
heart rate.)  The ride was extremely hot (high 90's) and very steep (50 milers
had about 4000' of climbs.)

.      o o          o o
.    o_ \ \____   o_ \_\
.       o  o    o-- /