[RC] Help pinpointing lamness/wither puncture - ladurgin

  The swelling in my mares shoulder seems to be going down, but wither puncture is  really oozing and  seems to be coming sort of to some kind of head, a more defined swelling  right next to the  puncture. I talked to  other vet who had  changed the  antibiotic back to  Doxicycline. They told me to let off the Bute for a day- I did , but she is  so lame! I soaked and  examined her foot- she had  badly chipped herself short right before the  wither injury and i had tried to  file the  edges a bit so they  wouldn't tear any more and remember  she  pulled her foot away , when I  worked on the inside of this leg.So I may have sored her a bit before the shoulder. But she has gotten lamer, hardly wants to walk (no bute today). I tried to fit an  easy boot, but I may need a bigger size but hesitate doing anything to that foot....
  They found her sore in the inside of that foot , but no heat  or  swelling in foot or leg.
    She will stand on the  leg  flat sometimes or when grazing, but can hardly walk today. Still no swelling in  foot or leg.(I have warm hosed the wound and shoulder and cold hosed the foot. ) I don't  know if  there is a second abcess forming in foot(not the best feet), from soring  or if this all comes from the  shoulders, she is touchy about me touching the  puncture area that is  swollen above the  withers  puncture, but  doesn't seem to mind me  rubbing , hosing massageing under  the withers.
     I am going to  put  her back on Bute  tomorrow-- I thought  I could make a  pad and  duct tape it to her foot to see if it changes the  lamness--- Or  could  severe lamness result from the swelling and wither puncture after several days? In the beginning she was only a little lame;   --  I am  wondering what  this severe kind of lamness could lead too-  I did tell the vet I thought " fistula of  the  withers" seemed unlikely in a horse that is a pasture pet with  about 20 hours under saddle 5 years ago. I  lean more to a  pellet wound or  puncture from ?, that  caused the abcess....
     Anybody  have a wither abcess from a wound or something and  cause  this  kind of  severe lamness  ?  (The  wither area wasn't  originally swollen  the  endema was lower  on  both sides of her shoulder blade about   about -18" below the  puncture...) She will stand  on  all four or sometimes with the foot forward some and  a rear cocked. Or she will hold that foot up on her toe.But so lame when walking,and it is worse  some  times of day than others.... I  don't know if I am dealing with a  sore foot and  a painful shoulder  or  just the shoulder  .....Any  90 yr old vet, barefoot trimmers out there who have seen Brucellosis or other types of  puncture wounds with  shoulder endema? The official info I find  says it's rare-my vets says they have seen it....so I  don't  know what to  think or who to  trust in.

Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.