[RC] little experience pays off..cont - Kathie Ford

Well I just rode the Tevis canyons w/gloves on all 4's. Didn't lose any and no rubs really. My mare had just a tiny little spot. Not enough to cause an issue....yet

So what are those canyons? 30 something miles? Rocky, dusty, narrow..creeks, etc.

I was told just last week (I didn't have time to buy any) that body glide or that Monkey Butt (lol..that name is hilarious!!! ahahaha) applied works very well. So I'm going to get some and just try riding around on my trails at home and see what happens w/it.

The hoofarmor for me works even better. But..they need to still have the curing of it a little faster for a 100 mile ride. But, it can be done. I've ridden many many miles w/that on my horses feet. I've not even had a bruise on any of my horses hooves. I've used it on a couple.

I did find a way to help it cure faster though. I just let it get slightly tacky then apply baby powder and waalaa!  It's set and dry. I also apply it thin as if too thick it will flake off. More is NOT better. LESS is. I also take and apply a think amount around the beveled edges of their hooves.

My friend Vicki both rode and ponied a horse loose on the Tevis canyons this weekend. Barefoot can be done in there because we both did it. The gelding she rode was completely naked hoof wise and the loose gelding (extremely well behaved..she won't do that w/just any horse) had hoof armor applied. Both horses trotted out absolute 100% sound when we finished and the hoof armor horse had NO chips! Amazing..

So I like both the gloves/shells AND the Hoofarmor. As for traction in ALL conditions I say the hoofarmor has the boots beat for now though. Very hard to beat a natural hoof for traction.

Again, as I mentioned in my post to Kat, just my own personal observations and experience thus far...Great to share all this.

cheers and happy riding!

kathie

Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Get 25 GB of free online storage. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.