[RC] Melissa's Mongol "Dream Team" - k s swigart

Melissa said:

Please email to ridecamp some of your ledgendary
?rider role-models, especially some of the names
?of International riders with incredible records
?of consistent completions that we maybe haven't
?heard of very often here.
?
Well... if I were going to pick one person who I thought might have the best
chance of completing this thing, I would put my money on Louis Brunke (sp?) way
before I would put it on Tribly Pederson, even when she was still riding.
?
To my knowledge, Louis Brunke has never completed a sanctioned endurance ride
in his life.? He did, however, complete the "CSMF of all time."? He is one of
the two riders who completed the Ride Across the Americas from end to end on a
14 hh pony.? He followed an unmarked trail from the tip of South America to the
North Shore of Alaska sometimes covering as little as a few miles a day as he
hacked his way with a machete through the dense undergrowth of tropical rain
forest.? At times his horses sustained themselves on dried corn husks.
?
I mention him because I want to illustrate that a record of completing
sanctioned endurance rides is little indication of being able to complete
something like the Mongol Derby as near as I can understand the concept from
what I have been able to glean on the Internet (which I am willing to concede
may not be accurate).
?
But, it seems to me that what is required to complete the Mongol Derby bears
very little resemblence to what is required of virtually any sanctioned
endurance ride.? The 2001 XP was the closest that I could think of, but, as
many people mentioned, it DID parallel a major Interstate highway for much of
the way and at no time were any of us ever very far from a Wal Mart.
?
I realize that most people here (and in fact most people anywhere) have little
experience with having to actually navigate on unmarked trails and that most
endurance riders complain mightily about poor trail markings if the trail is
not sufficiently well marked that it cannot be followed at whatever speed you
choose.? In fact, there have been a couple of articles in the last few months
ago in the Endurance News about just this topic.
?
If you look in the February EN article about "Steve's no-fail trail marking
tips" (p. 8) and the June EN article by Stagg Newman about how to ensure that
you are still on trail, you will note that they do not apply to this ride
across Mongolia...so riding a marked endurance trail is little preparation for
this Mongolian event.
?
If _I_ were the organizer of this event, the ability to do an endurance ride
would be pretty low on my list of essential criteria.? The ability to navigate
in unmarked terrain, that would probably be pretty high (higher, even, if you
ask me, than the ability to ride a horse), some experience with travelling in a
third world country and knowing about both foreign languages and, um, less than
sanitary conditions and food...pretty high, the ability to "survive in the
wilderness" (what we called it in the Boy Scouts, I even have a merit badge for
it) really high, but number one on my list would be the ability to rapidly
evaluate a changing situation, adjust to it, switch to an alternate plan, or to
quit before getting yourself into something that you cannot get out of.
?
Ironically enough, by the way that they are set up, modern-day sanctioned
endurance rides do not do much to foster any of these skills.? The Duck's "you
are on your own out there" and "don't count on me to save your horse's life" go
a little way to fostering some of these skills (although I am still trying to
figure out why it is okay for the Duck to say it, but not The Adventurist), but
rides on trails marked with surveyor's ribbon every 20 feet and chalk arrows
pointing the way to go at every intersection, along with mandatory stops at
frequent intervals where they can force you to quit if you are too ignorant to
figure it out on your own along with feed and water for your horse, and
sandwiches and cookies for the rider, and multitudes of support people (whether
you brought them yourself or provided by ride management) do not prepare you
for anything other than the "ride the horse" part.
?
This isn't to say that no modern-day endurance rider has these skills, just
that they are hardly essential for completing an endurance ride.? So a long
record of completing endurance rides is not the criteria that _I_ would use to
select the best participants for such an adventure.? So it is hardly surprising
to me that the successful adventurist of The Adventurists also did not have it
as one of their pre-requisites.
?
kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)
?
p.s.? The old Outlaw Trail multi-day ride came a damned sight closer to
fostering these skills than any AERC ride I have done before or since.? And I
am reminded of the statement that was made by one of the vets at the only vet
check on the first day of the first time I rode it (~45 miles into the ride,
mind you) when talking about a horse that had to be led/dragged by its
rider?the 20 miles off the Boulder Top, "If that horse doesn't come back under
its own steam, then that horse isn't coming back."? We have places right here
in the good old USofA where horses are a long ways from veterinary attention,
even at endurance rides.? But if they were to put on the Outlaw Trail again, I
would be the first one to sign up...even if it weren't sanctioned (which it
probably couldn't be, because of the Federal Government restrictions on use of
the land).