Re: [RC] God Bless America//Horses For Heroes Programs - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Title: Re: [RC] God Bless America//Horses For Heroes Programs
This is a good time to mention the Horses For Heroes programs in hippotherapy (physical therapy on horseback), therapeutic riding, and equine-assisted psychotherapy (EAP). In these programs, equids (horses, mules, minis, etc) are employed to do physical and psychotherapy with active service people and military veterans with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and/or TBS (Traumatic Brain Syndrome). Many of these programs are provided through the Veterans Administration Hospitals in conjunction with NARHA (North American Riding for the Handicapped Assn)-approved centers and organizations, like EAGALA (Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Assn), that train psychotherapists in EAP.

We have such a program here at the Palo Alto VA Hospital in conjunction with NCEFT in Woodside, CA (National Center for Equine Facilitated Therapy). These programs are always having benefits and fundraisers—sometimes poker rides and other horsey things. Please support them in your area!

Beverley
Beverley Kane, MD
Horsensei Equine-Assisted Learning & Therapy
Woodside, CA
http://www.horsensei.com

The Manual of Medicine and Horsemanship--
Transforming the Doctor-Patient Relationship with Equine-Assisted Learning
http://www.authorhouse.com:80/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=49669