[RC] Mongolian horses - Barbara McCrary

I have been interested in the comments in several posts that indicate Mongolian horses are semi-wild.  I didn't see any indication of that when we were there.  The horses all live in a herd, each herd belonging to different families.  The foals are tied to a low picket line from early "foal-hood" and learn how to be patient.  Actually, when tied that way and for hours on end, there is nothing else to do but be patient.  They learn from early on to be patient and work when asked.  I did not see any starved horses. They grow up as horses have for ages, grazing on local grass and surviving the elements.  I think they are doing just fine.  It is our "civilized" horses that have troubles, because they are confined, fed unnatural food, and pampered.

Our group consisted of only about three skilled riders, but nearly all of us rode horses for a couple of miles along the edge of the Gobi Desert.  The traditional Mongolian saddle is extremely uncomfortable to the human body.  It is made of wood and ridden over a thick pad of animal hair...goat or camel?...with stirrups short enough to cause one's knees to bend at 90 degrees.  I instinctively needed to post, a maneuver I'd bet that horse had never experienced.

The young horses are broke to ride by the children.  I see reason in this.  Kids are lightweight, tough, flexible, brave, and are practically born in the saddle.  Their horsemanship is not refined like the dressage rider, but they are fearless and stay on.  It is their style, not ours.  I don't believe in interfering in someone else's culture, just as we would resent someone from another country interfering with ours.

Barbara