Re: [RC] And herein lies the real source of complaint (was: Christoph in Mongolia) - Sandy Adams

this is a rather succinct comment. This is WHY all comments have a place; because we do indeed have the bored tourist types right here in AERC - just as they exist in many other sports. It isn't just abuse that is of concern - it is the ignorance that results in injury or death, and frankly, that includes the  human who participate. Shoot, we have idiots in a lot of our own rides. One difference here is that an international light isn't being shown on most of our rides. For those of us who DON'T ride to set records (and I THINK that would be a huge majority) the minority who have the potential to both hurt horses and also give the sport a real black eye are of concern to ALL of us. The experience and fundamental knowledge of many on this list IMO give them the latitude to express a valid opinion. The cavalier attitude about this event I think gives many concern.