Re: [RC] Mongol Riders//was: OUTRAGE - the Mongol Derby - Truman Prevatt

When I attended Army War College, I wrote my thesis on, would you believe it the great technological advances, that changed warfare. The stirrup was one such and is felt to be to by most military historians the most significant invention in warfare prior to gunpowder.  I did quite a bit of research on the lowly stirrup.

There is some evidence that earlest stirrup goes back to about 500 to 400 BC in India. Buddhist carvings in the temples of Sanchi, Mathura and the Bhaja caves dating back between the 1st and 2nd century BC figure horsemen riding with elaborate saddles with feet slipped under girths. In this regard Sir John Marshall described the Sanchi relief as "the earliest example by some five centuries of the use of stirrups in any part of the world". A single stirrup was used as a mounting aid by a nomadic group known as the Sarmatians (Persia) in the first century BC.

This time line coincides with the development of the solid tree saddle that goes back to about 200 BC. However, the first solid tree saddles (used by the Romans) did not have stirrups. The first dependable representation of a rider with paired stirrups was found in China in a Jin Dynasty tomb of about 322 AD. The stirrup appeared to be in widespread use across China by 477 AD.

By the 7th century, primarily due to invaders from Central Asia, such as the Avars, stirrups spread across Asia to Europe.  By the 8th century, they appear to have been adopted by the Europeans. Among other advantages, stirrups provided greater balance and support to the rider, which allowed the knight to use a sword more efficiently without falling, especially against infantry adversaries. Contrary to common image, stirrups do not enable the horseman to use a lance more effectively, but a cantled saddle does. It has been long argued that the Battle of Hastings ( around 1000 AD) was decided in a large part because of the where the Normans conquered England was decided because of the stirrup.

The stirrup goes back well prior to Kahn and the Mongolian empire in the 13th and 14th century.

Truman

Beverley H. Kane, MD wrote:
Ah, yes. The Parthian ("parting") shot, performed at a full gallop . But
they didn't have stirrups, which hadn't been invented yet. - BK