[RC] Kat: Comparing a XP Duck ride across Kansas & Nebraska to a ride in Mongolia? - Maryanne Gabbani

As one of the people who had warning bells going off from day one of this project, I have to support Melissa. The simple fact that these riders are going to be on their own without the ability to communicate ANYTHING AT ALL to someone they may meet is enough to cause concern. I see the level of panic that ensues in visitors to Egypt who may find themselves in a tricky situation without the ability to speak to someone who can understand them...and most Egyptians have a bit of English to confuse you with. I would no more turn one of my visitors loose in my desert than fly to the moon. I've taken out dressage riders, polo players and eventers and also endurance folk...remember the poor dressage guy, John and Sue? who was dying halfway through a 25 mile ride and had to be sent back by jeep...and to imagine that even here I'd just tell them "head south to the lake bed by Dahshur and back along the farm tracks" where there ARE people who are nice and helpful but who can't understand a word you are saying is totally irresponsible.

If someone wants that kind of adventure they should be having it on their own feet or at least their own horse. No one is "buying" these horses. They are being "loaned" by people who probably can't imagine what is actually going to happen.

Maryanne