[RC] "mongol " derby - sherman

Title: Message
I think I didn't make it clear that it was information that I gleaned from our exchange student (he loves horses) about the traditional treatment of their race horses that makes me state without reservation that the horses will be at great risk.  He and I spent hours and hours riding and talking and comparing what we do and what they do. They love their horses, are so proud of them, love to ride, from the time they can get on and control a horse, and yet  with their limited knowledge and the way they are taught to care for the horses, especially the race horses, they constantly put them at risk. I don't think that the Mongolians will think the derby is going to be a problem, because they don't have the knowledge to make them think so. It's the promoter or participants that need to be made aware of the risk to the horses. It doesn't sound like the promoter has any interest other than collecting money, but if there are high profile participants, they may have some influence.  Could you even imagine galloping a horse for 15-30 miles in the heat after not allowing it to eat or drink for 24 hours?

Kathy