Re: [RC] "mongol " derby - Truman Prevatt

Title: Message
In reality I think we would be better served to look inward instead of worrying what they want to do in Mongolia - where we really have no say. While whining, crying, gnashing of teeth and pointing a accusatory finger at someplace else in the  work might make us fell better or maybe even superior - we've got plenty of our own problems related to our horses that we might have a chance of solving. Better our passion be directed to problems we can solve and if we do solve them will help our horses - like how to prevent metabolic crashes and deaths at AERC rides.

Truman

sherman wrote:
Having had a 17 yr old Mongolian foreign exchange student live with us and ride with me, I know what he told me about their 25 mile races. Horses do die, even with their young and very tiny riders on them, sometimes as young as 6 yrs old. The horses are not allowed food and water the day before the race because of fear it will slow them down and make them want to stop to pee, so obviously they don't provide and water on the ride either. Generally speaking, they have little modern or scientific knowledge of the horses' nutritional and metabolic needs and are only following their tradition. While it is shameful for them when one of their horses die, rather than find out why (can't anyway, no vets) they will usually cut off the head and bury it separately, so no one can prove it was their race horse. If it happens on the race course, everyone knows, they can't hide that, but they really don't understand that their practices are killing the horses, they just think they were not in good enough condition. The horses die at the race, but they die at home after the race too.

Yes, many horses die in equestrian events in countries other than Mongolia, but from what I was told by a horse lover from Mongolia, this will be a disaster for their little horses. JMHO

Kathy

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan