[RC] Almost Bennett Hills - Steph Teeter

What a fun weekend! Everybody pitched in and helped, patience and good spirits all around. We even had a first time rider (from Salmon - about 6 1/2 hour drive) who had so much fun, and was so impressed with the friendly atmosphere that she's going to try to put on a ride in her area. She's had it with the show crowd! We really are a great bunch of people if I do say so myself :)

We didn't have a large turnout, but we were able to pay the vets (thanks Olin and Karen and Robert who kept the ride flowing smoothly). The awards were mostly donated. And it was just so pleasant and personal with a small group of riders who simply wanted to ride. Lynne handled all the registration, paperwork, results. I did the trails and set up camp (which was never totally un-set up from Fandango) and my time marking the trail was part of the fun (great scenery, wildlife, not a soul in sight) and I absolutely love playing with Google Earth - so for me it was a great excuse from cleaning house and other odious tasks. Day 1 had the mountain trail (one of my favorites) and I actually got to ride it on my favorite horse - now that is a treat!! John rode one of Bev Gray's up-and- coming horses on his first 50 - so we rode drag together and made sure gates were closed, and everybody made it down off the mountain. Day 2 we did 2 25 mile loops for the 50's, which was just right - ridge-top trails with a breeze, and creek crossings for water. And I got to ride that day too, a real treat!

This is such a pretty time in the Owyhees - the creeks are still running strong, the grass is green in the higher country, long sunny days. It got up to 95 degrees on Sunday, but it really wasn't that bad out there - plenty of breeze, long stops at the creeks to cool off and water, plenty of shade in camp. We started at 6am just at sunrise, and the hills and canyons were beautiful! I had one of the most pleasant rides on my horse Jaziret - he's 18 this year, just reached 4000 miles, and I'm having one of the best seasons on him - he's still a handful but what a great ride!

Thanks so much to all of you who helped pull it off and made it such a fun experience!

Steph