[RC] Update on Meg Wade, from Linda Tanian - Jay Randle

Hi Everybody

I hadn't had time to go and visit Meg for the last two weeks due to the
pressures of organising the Upper Murray Challenge but I was able to pop in
and see her last night following the completion of the VERA SMC meeting.
Walking into her hospital room I was greeted with a warm smile and a big
hello from her. Meg proceeded to tell me how she wished I'd come earlier
because she'd been cast in her bed and couldn't get herself the right way
up. The buzzer was at her back and she couldn't reach it and had been
laying there for quite a while. We had such a laugh about her being cast
and it was really good to see Meg's sense of humour in full swing.

Meg was looking very well and has put on weight and is now starting to get
some definition back into her arms so the hard work with the physio seems to
be paying off. She certainly has more strength in her arms and is able to
lift her head up off the pillow under her own steam, which she hasn't been
able to do. More of the 'old' Meg is coming through and I can now have a
real decent chat with her rather than a simple ask question and get an
answer type of conversations I've had previously.

The right arm is still not very mobile at all but is much more relaxed and
Meg is able to lift it up with her other hand and interlace fingers so there
is much improvement than has been apparent in previous visits.

Meg's cheekiness is more evident as well and we had a few good laughs about
different things. Her communication is much improved, speech still a little
slow and sometimes she loses track of what she was saying but I think that's
because she's pushing so hard to get it out so I told her to take a chill
pill and slow down! She then seemed to be able to recapture the thread of
her thoughts and get the stuff out.

Her short term memory is much improved and she was able to let me know the
hospital routine and that tomorrow, being Monday, she'd be going across the
road to the gym. Meg was really looking forward to getting in a wheelchair
and getting out into the fresh air, regardless of how cold it was!

We also talked about the recent ride and how well all of the horses had done
and the gossip from the ride. I told her about the lovely ride that
Darthvadar had given me. Meg was very proud of how Kristie has stepped up
and taken on extra responsibility while she is in hospital and we talked for
a little while on how well Kristie is doing. Meg was particularly
interested in Kristie's ride on Concorde, one of Meg's favourite horses.

Meg has definite plans to ride and fly her chopper again and I certainly
reinforced that she has the strength of mind and determination to make it
happen. A couple of times she expressed concern that she wouldn't be able
to do it but I continued to reinforce the message that she had the power
within her mind to do it and she just needed to focus on these things to
make them happen.

Gatesy and the family have put up some enlargements on the wall at the
hospital and these give her great pleasure and we talked about them all
while I was there. There are photos of her and China Doll, Khalifa and
Kalahari as well as photos of family and friends and a couple of the
choppers.

I also told her how many emails I had at home from everyone and she is
really keen to read them so I will try and take my laptop in the next time
(if the hospital allows it). If anyone has any messages for her please
forward them to me and I'll pass them on. She is so touched by everyone's
concern for her and it really bolsters her spirits to know that her
endurance family is so supportive.

As yet the hospital hasn't relaxed the rules on visitors but I suspect that,
given Meg's improvement, it may not be that long. I will let everyone know
as soon as I hear of any change. I left the hospital feeling pretty happy
with the improvements that Meg is making. I hope to call in and see her
again next Sunday on the way home from the Eldorado ride.

Cheers

Linda

Click Here View photos of singles in your area