Re: [RC] Lost horse NOT Big Bear CA - wrecksduke

Oak Grove is near Altadena/Pasadena/La Canada California.

Please see recent post....

In case you have not heard, Lily, the mare missing from near JPL (Jet
Propulsion Lab) since late
May was reportedly sighted in "the meadows" neighborhood in Altadena this
week. This neighborhood is at the East side of Brown Mtn. road and El Prieto
trail, both of which take off from behind JPL. El Prieto trail is not
ridable because of low branches, but you can bike or hike it.

directions:
Exit 210 at Arroyo/ Windsor. Go left onto Windsor. Keep on Windsor and park
in the parking area at Windsor and Ventura. Walk or bike toward the canyon.
Once you get into the canyon, the road splits to the left, where you have
probably ridden your horse, and to the right. The road on the right is
called Brown Mtn. road. It goes up for hours. Just ride it and talk to
people and look for her. When you get to the top, you can go right or left.
If you go right, East, you will get to Millard CAnyon campground. There is a
parking lot there where most bikers and hikers begin and have someone
shuttle down. The top of El Prieto trail is just West of the permanent
stream which crosses the Brown mtn. fire road. It is not marked now, but is
quite prominent, and anyone you see would probably know where it is. El
Prieto trail takes off soon after you get onto the brown mtn. road. It is
marked, on the right hand side. It is a bike trail but I used to ride it a
lot.

So that is bikers and hikers. For riders, park at rose bowl riders if you
know someone who will let you in. Or park in the frizzbee golf lot, or on
the other side of the arroyo at the end of Altadena Drive. To get there-
Continue up Windsor and you will run into Altadena Dr.. Or go east to
LIncoln or goggle LIncoln and Altadena dr. or call me. Ride down the trail
at the end of Altadena Dr. follow the road up the canyon. When you get to
the split to brown mtn. road, there are a couple of trails off to the right.
They branch out. She could be around any of them.

INTO THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHERE SHE WAS SIGHTED
Another ride or hike- go up Lincoln. Pass Loma Alta Dr. ( that is my street,
stop by to say hi) . Turn left onto Canyon Crest right after you cross Loma
Alta. Two trails that I know of to search- more to discover the trailheads
to.
1- as you go around a curve you will see a chain link fence on your right.
Park there. Hike the Altadena Crest trail which takes off across the street
from there. I don't know if it is horse worthy, I haven't been on it, but it
is a block from where she was seen.
2.HORSES-  continue up canyon crest, rigs ok. turn left onto CLOVERHILL.
Park before ARALIA so that you can turn left onto Aralia to exit around the
block. Ride horse (or hike) to the end of cloverhill (it is right there) and
turn rt . onto El PRieto Rd. At the end of the road there is a black utility
company gate. There is a people entrance to the left of the gate. I think a
horse can easily pass. Trail start there. Ask anyone you see where more
entrances to the trails are and let us know.
Call me for more info. or to ride with me........Kris (626) 590-7744   If
you have flyers, write on them "seen in this area on 6-22-09' because there
is a May date on most of them. There are not many flyers in the meadows, so
if you are in a friendly mood, maybe ask around if there is a homeowners
association or something to get permission. They seem to disappear. Feel
free to make up flyer and hand out Leslie's phone number to everyone you
see. (818) 359-3947
thank you everyone! Let's find Lily! Please forward this to anyone in the
area.

---- Eric  Drew <eidrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Still getting the details and waiting for an emailed copy of the flier but
here is what I know
fwd from a fellow firefighter in Big Bear

"i am here in big bear and we also found a horse up here with us at snow
valley.. our little filly is at the devor animal shelter awaiting a home *
update our horse found a home but .. in the mean time i received another
email about a person who lost her horse up in the oak grove area ( i have no
idea where this is ) but i said i would try to reach you all and knowing what
a wonderful group of people you are. maybe you all could be on the look out
if this horse is still out in that area in the brush or mountain side

Again, I don't know what terrain she was ridding in when the horse spooked,
got scared and ran off the rider was hurt but more in shock of not being able
to find her baby, This horse is a 5 year old buckskin mare , the horse has a
dark brown stripe down the middle of her back from shoulder to butt. lite tan
color except for the stripe down her back.. the horse was last seen in that
area and was fully tacked meaning had saddle and bridle on.. we don't know if
someone has her or if she is still out in that area of oak grove.. i am
asking if anyone gets calls out this way to please keep an eye out ,, you
never know you might see her and then please call it in to chp or even animal
control.. her owner is worried sick. Thank you so much .."

Eric Drew
Fire Fighter/ EMT
Santa Cruz County