[RC] Windpuffs - Bruce Weary DC

 Hi Liz--
I am not a vet, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
But, I am a joint man. Let's clarify a few terms so we can
communicate. Swelling, usually refers to fluid contained in a defined
space, like a joint--much like water in a balloon. Filling,
refers to fluid built up in the spaces between structures, like legs
that stock up and improve with a little exercise. Cellular
inflammation denotes changes inside the cells of damaged or infected
tissues. These all can occur by themselves or in combination.
You have described what appears to be a classic case of cyclic and
increasing joint trauma and inflammation from aggressive exercise. I have
found that wind puffs are often "under diagnosed"--by that I mean they
are often seen as inconsequential, but should be taken seriously.. They
are a distension of
either the joint capsule or the tendon sheath, and are an indication of
the synovial membrane producing fluid at an increased rate. This is
usually due to trauma, and I include high velocity/high impact exercise
in my definition of trauma. That would include sprinting/speed work such
as is often done in Ride and Tie. Some horses can handle it, and some
can't, depending on their genetics and tissue hardening.  If  we as people
did something athletic and during or soon afterward we saw a large
swelling in or around a joint, whether it was tender or not, we would
probably be gravely concerned. If our doctor told us not to worry as
long as it wasn't painful, we would probably look for a new doctor,
especially
if it shows no signs of going away any time soon.
The pain she feels on the joint compression tests isn't likely from the
fluid in the pockets that you see causing compression on the tendons
nearby.  It is much more likely from pain caused by irritating the joint
capsule, ligaments or arthritic tissue within the joint. Her body
has made a decision that her joints require extra lubrication to help
offset the injurious effects of the athletics she has participated in.
So, the synovial
membrane produces fluid at a rate faster than it drains off, and has
become a chronic situation. The fact that there is fluid in one leg and
not another
simply means that the involved leg sustained stresses/injury that the
others did not. You can x-ray, but I doubt you'll find a bone chip.
This isn't a case of a "wind puff gone bad." There is involvement of
other tissues in and around her joints causing her pain and fluid signs.
Sounds like she needs plenty of rest, only light exercise, and perhaps a
career change. It's true many wind puffs can be ignored after an
otherwise full recovery and safe return to activity have been achieved.
It sure sounds like you have more going on than that.
 Good luck, and please let us know how her recovery goes.   Bruce Weary