[RC] Sponge Leashes - Jonni

I went to the dollar store, and picked up a curly phone cord. I then cut the plug ends off, and flipped the cord around into a small loop, and used very small zip ties, to hold the cord together, making the "loop". I did this at both ends. One loop, I attach the sponge to it with a small nylon spur strap, or some other manner through the grommet in the sponge. I also attach a snap, which will snap the whole thing on my saddle or breastcollar ring when not in use. Be creative. The other end, I put a large, longer zip tie, that formed a "handle" type loop for me to hang on to when tossing the sponge. I have a horse that it would be best I never leave the sponge attached to the horse.

Now, to get the right length, hold one end of the phone cord, and stretch it out to the length needed to go from your hand, to the ground, and cut it. You will find it does not take much to do the job, and when traveling down the trail, is curled up nice and small next to the sponge. It will tangle a little, but really, not much. One toss to the water, and it usually straightens things out. It has a lot of nice spring to it, so it is easy to toss and fling back up for me to catch it. And cheap to make!

Jonni