RE: [RC] The Instant Transition: From Shoes to Tough Boot Training Overnight - Karen Standefer

I’m riding in West Texas in Natural pastures that have rock outcroppings, sand, ponds, cactus, small brush, downed mesquite trees, vines with spines……………you name it.  Everything EXCEPT trails!  We just go cross country.  The gloves work great.  They’re not any different than using shoes in those circumstances except that on the flat, slick rock they don’t slip like steel shoes do.

The older version boots with the wire cables weren’t very much fun in really rocky circumstances because the wire would fray.  But, the newer versions of boots (Bares, Gloves and Glue-Ons) don’t have all the stuff to get caught up in brush and are great.  In addition, the gloves are WAY less weight and have a much smaller profile, so not as bulky and awkward for the horse to manage.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dot Wiggins
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:20 PM
To: Kevin Myers; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] The Instant Transition: From Shoes to Tough Boot Training Overnight

I have some questions for you.   How do the various kinds of boots work when you have to go "off trail"?

I know they are effective in rocks and sand etc., but do all the buckles, clips, straps, cables and gaiters ever catch in the ground brush, down limbs, sage brush, or rank,tough grass you might have to go through?

Some of us don't get to ride on nice trails all the time.  We have to bush-whack it cross country often.

Do you have any experience under these conditions?

Thanks much