[RC] Tevis Educational Ride - Thank you! - Naomi Preston

My husband Lee and I were fortunate to attend this ride also, and want to thank Terryl Reed, Kathie Perry, WSTF, Tevis Board and all the scores of volunteers it took to put this super event on!  I know it is a labor of love for all these  people devoted to preserving and promoting this wonderful historic ride.  I hadn't been on the trail since riding it in '91, and it was great to be on my favorite endurance trail again, without the pressure of competition, or August heat!  What a pleasure to enjoy the trails and awesome scenery in moderate temps, and with the dust settled by recent rains.

I want to echo what Bruce posted about attending the Educational Ride if you are considering doing the Tevis.  The opportunity for you and your horse to learn the trail is priceless.  Especially the sections of the trail that are done by most riders at night.  Also, this event was extremely well organized.  From the moment we arrived at Robinson Flat with our rig, we were immediately met by Chuck Mather to show us where to park.  From that moment on, it was an extremely well orchestrated event, and all the work and planning was evident in the details, and much appreciated!  The speakers were some of the best in the sport, and rivaled the best speakers at any AERC Convention!  From veteran Tevis Vet Jamie Kerr, Dr. Steve Duren - equine nutritionist, Kathie Perry on saddle fit, Debby Lyon on pacing, Chuck Mather - conditioning, Barbara White (28 Tevis buckles) on the Tevis trail,  Penny Scribner on Trail Etiquette, Marion Arnold - Ride History, and Kirt Atkin - Conformation & Shoeing.  What a lineup!

So don't miss this event when it happens again.  And thank you, again, to all the volunteers that made it happen!

Naomi