[RC] Head dipping - sshorses

Thank you all so much for your responses!  You've given me a lot to think about which is REALLY good because I was starting to feel kinda hopeless about it.

I don't think it's thrush because Reba's feet are pretty hard.  I usually can smell thrush or see some evidence of it.  It's not about wanting to go faster either.  If anything, it's about going slower.  I ride with a loose rein and light hands so it's not about rein snatching either.  She can have as much rein as she wants.  I use an English headstall without the cavesson and a bike chain hackamore covered by a thick rubber black hose.  It has no shanks so it's almost like riding in a halter with reins.  I can't remember what I use for the chin strap.  I'll have to check.  It could be due to sore or bruised feet but at this point I'm thinking it's probably riding with her head up and her back hollow.  I think the biggest thing that would help me is getting her to collect more and round out her back.  For me, that means probably taking dressage lessons.  Ca-ching.  :(  I'll continue to use the hoof boots and will probably give the martingale, massage, and maybe a chiropractor a try too.

This was all really good feedback for me.  I feel like I've hit the jackpot!  Thanks again everyone!

Sue